Hampton Roads Center for Spiritual Living
Director of Music Ministry
General Description of Position: (contract position)
Provide vision and direction for existing and emerging forms of music and uphold a standard of excellence in all areas of music, reporting directly to the Senior Minister.
Develop, coordinate and administer a dynamic, responsive and well-rounded music program that reflects the principles and values of the philosophy of Science of Mind. Familiar with New Thought inspirational music of Rickie Byars Beckwith, Donna Michaels, Daniel Nahmod, Karen Drucker and others.
Behave in a manner congruent with the professionalism and decorum of a leader, recognizing that the music ministry is one of the most visible in the Center.
Has own keyboard, able to sing, manage sound and engage community in singing.
For more information: www.hamptonroadscsl.org; call Rev. Ruth at 757 271-1552
Leadership Role and Responsibilities
- Contract with individual musicians, both from within and without the community, to provide special music as necessary.
- Inform the office and the Senior Minister of the guest soloist lineup at least four weeks in advance.
- Provide soloists with clear guidelines for Hampton Roads CSL Services and accompany and rehearse with guest artists as needed.
- Provide musical accompaniment before, during and after services each Sunday.
- Meet soloists before service to do a sound check, with the support of sound crew.
- Coordinate with the sound team for the management of AV requirements and training.
- Attend staff meetings, as applicable.
- Work within the guidelines of the music budget provided.
- Plan and implement an appropriate rotation of congregational music for Sunday Celebration Services and for special services as required, in consultation with the Senior Minister.
- Maintain a library of sheet music available for use by the Center, to be updated on a regular basis and within the parameters of the budget provided.
- Is aware of the basic tenets of the Science of Mind; this is ensured by completion of the Foundational Class at the Music Director’s earliest convenience (no later than within the first year of contract). This class is to be paid for by the Center.